Life as an expatriot living and running in the beautiful town of Zwolle, the Netherlands.

Sunday, October 08, 2006


Had a great run in the rain and wind the other day. You know, when I'm sitting in the warm confines of my house, with the clouds gathering and the branches bending... I soooooo don't want to get out there and deal with the weather. But once I'm out in it, I love it. Go figure. The evening was actually beautiful, with hard swirling wind up on the dike. I and three of my teammates ran through the dark night, through the bursts of rain for about 16 kilometers.

Today, however, during our long run in the forest, my old nemesis, my left achilles tendon, came back to haunt me. So I had to walk most of the way back with my very accommodating coach, Nico, while the others finished their training. I can't tell you how much it sucked to feel that sharp pain near my ankle. But on the upside, I had a great conversation with Nico. And he told me some very good advice that is very counter-intuitive. See, I have been feeling so goddamned good with my running lately, that I have just turned on the training. I figured "why not" as every run seemed to be better than the last. Nico said actually, that is exactly the time to back off for a week, because you tend to overdo it when you're feeling good. Ok... Got it. Man, there is just always more and more to learn. So for now, I'm alternating the ice and heat and hoping to be back on the road by Wednesday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane Moss said...

So what to you do when you're feeling crappy? I guess the rule of thumb is moderation, eh? As a dancer I am always having to deal with this, especially since I, too, have had physical ailments lately. It's hard because I am mostly on my own these days without much community or coaching. But I learn...
You have the same hot water bottle as I, by the way. Thrilled to have put mine away finally for now!

7:58 PM

 
Blogger Debbie said...

Hi Diane,
well it's always a give and take with running. I really am fine unless I don't listen to my body. And I was pushing a little too hard.

BTW, I am totally in love with water bottles now. God's gift to leg pain and cold feet.

3:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I thought I left a comment here yesterday, but I sent an email instead. Derrrrp!

Glad to hear that the leg is feeling besser!

Kiss Kiss

6:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home